Kiwa BCS (central is Germany) is able to provide organic certification services with contracted Turkish and/or foreign auditors in many countries including Germany (central), Latin America, Europe, Asia and Africa. Some of our services:
- Organic Agriculture Law and Regulation No. 5262,
- EC 834/2007 and 889/2008 (EU Organic Agriculture Regulations),
- JAS (Japanese Agricultural Standard), KOC (Korean Organic Certification),
- NOP (National Organic Program), FairTSA (Fair Trade),
- GOTS (Global Organic Textile), Biosuisse, KRAV, Naturland, Demeter.
VLOG promotes food manufacture without GMOs and also engages in consumer education.
Since 2004, the EU has required labels for foods and animal feed products that contain genetically modified (GMO) ingredients. Yet there is no mandatory labeling requirement. In 2008, Germany created its own legislation establishing a voluntary GMO-free labeling program. The law set standards for the voluntary labeling of non-GMO plant-based foods and for products derived from livestock fed with non-GMO feed. In 2010, the German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture delegated authority to administer the voluntary GMO-free labeling standard to the Verband Lebensmittel “Ohne Gentechnik” (Association for Food without Genetic Engineering), or VLOG.
VLOG awards licenses for use of two seals. One is the standardized seal “Ohne GenTechnik” [Non-GMO] to be used on retail packaging of food products that meet its standard. The second one is “VLOG geprüft” [VLOG-verified] and reserved for animal feed in B2B relations. More than 13,000 food products are currently labelled with the “Ohne GenTechnik” seal. Intertek’s food laboratory in Linden, Germany is approved according to VLOG requirements.
Benefits to VLOG certification
- VLOG certification is a must for any company who is looking to trade with German retailers.
- For almost two decades, surveys have reported that German consumers prefer GMO-free food and nearly 100% of eggs in German supermarkets are VLOG certified.
- VLOG supports organisations that produce GMO-free food such as agricultural producers, food manufacturers, or retail chains.
Partnering with Intertek
Intertek is certified to conduct VLOG audits in Germany. As an experienced food certification body Intertek offers you more than a certificate. Our global presence means we can support your needs and guide you through the entire auditing and certification process, helping you to meet challenges and maximise the benefits.
The Non-GMO Project Standard
The standard ensures no genetically engineered ingredients are used in the production of the end product. The standard aims to verify this by putting forth a list of requirements that leads to a strong system of internal and external verifications at the facilities that produce/process the (end-)product. The Management System (MS) shall have a documented sampling plan that is based on the MS and the associated risk assessment. Laboratories performing tests to assess the genetically engineered material content of a sample, shall be certified with ISO 17025 for the specific activity of genetically engineered material testing. Companies in compliance with the NGPS may communicate the claim ‘Certified Non-GMO Production’ on the product label with reference to the NGPS. To the approved organic standards belong EU organic, NPOP, Non-GMO Project, USDA organic and IFOAM based organic standard